Beavers, Science and Society – Understanding and Managing an Ecosystem Engineer
The general topic of the 8th International Beaver Symposium is "Management and Understanding of Beaver Populations".
The following programme is only preliminary. Updates will occur over the following months.
Monday 17th September
Late arrival and Check in/registration
Tuesday 18th September
- Speakers: Local mayor and Director from Ministry of The Environment and Agriculture
Opening statement– including a short review on the last three years achievements and scientific progress in beaver research.
- Speaker: Professor Peter Busher, Boston University, USA.
1st Session: Beaver Management Policy Analysis (Management plans, Compensation, hunting regulations, international and national protection, policy and legal issues)
- Beaver management on a National Level – an example from Czech Republic and an overview for Central Europe.
- Speaker: Dr. Ales Vorel, Department of Ecology, Faculty of the Environment, University of Life Sciences Prague.
- Modelling range expansion of beavers in Denmark: a tentative prediction of favourable habitats and conflict zones.
- Speakers: Jesper Madsen, Chris Toppings, Flemming Skov & Peter Sunde, Department of Bioscience, Aarhus University, Denmark.
2nd Session: Beavers and Society (Tourism, Nature Interpretation, Education, Sport hunting, conflicts, damage prevention and mitigation)
- Beavers – from the Landowners point of view.
- Speaker: Bent Graversen, Member of the Committee for Tehcnical issues and the Environment (Lemvig Municipality) – and chair of Farmers Union in the Region.
Optional evening excursion – roaring stags, beavers….
Wednesday 19th September
3rd Session: Beaver Biology (General Biology (anatomy and physiology), Genetics, Behaviour, Behavioural Ecology)
4th Session: Beavers and Biodiversity (Migratory fish and beaver impacts/- effects on the general biodiversity)
- Beavers and biodiversity – a review on present knowledge.
Announcement of the 9th IBS
- Inventory of beaver (Castor fiber albicus) activities by a camera drone in the nature protection areas of the former opencast-mining landscape near Bitterfeld, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany.
- Presenters: Agr. Ing. Karl-Andreas Nitsche and Günther Röber
Thursday 20th September
Excursion in Western Jutland with emphasis on nature, culture and volunteers (Nature Park Nissum Fjord, Geopark Western Jutland, Heathlands and Plantations).
Registration can be made using this link. Register
Presentations and posters can be submitted to the Scientific Commitee by following this link. Submit